Pastel raindrops on a sunny day

vrijdag 10 maart 2017

Cosy and Comfy lolita coords

Can lolita be cozy and comfy at the same time? Yes it can!
At least in my world it can completely fit into the lolita world and I'm going to give you some tips and tricks to make your own lolita coord that can be both cosy and comfy. 

For me a comfy coord consist out of breathable fabrics, room to move and most of all flat shoes that don't hurt your feet. I'm on the larger side of the lolita spectrum when it comes to sizing so I specially made this list for what is comfortable for me as a bigger lolita. For reference I'm a size US 10, EU 42 on top and I fit comfortably in most of the dresses with shirring. 



Most brands offer different varieties of cutsew tops. These tops are made of a stretchy cotton t-shirt like fabric and have simple lace details or little bows on the collar or sleeves. Some have short sleeves which are perfect for summer and in winter you have the ones with longer sleeves. I know that the sizing can be quite scary since it goes up to a bust of 88 most of the time so having a larger size can scare you off a bit. But I can proudly say that these cutsew tops are suitable if you are over these measurements. The only thing I would take into consideration is the width of the sleeves, yes they do stretch along with the rest of the shirt but it can look a bit odd if it needs to stretch to it's max to fit. But this is personal preference! 

My other go to blouses are the ones I find in clothing stores like H&M or a Primark, they have a large variety of sizing and cute blouses that go with lolita very well. When shopping in these stores you need to look for cute collars and sleeves cause most blouse will be covered up with a dress anyway. If not you need to look out for a nice overall shape too. Most blouses I find in these stores are the ones with a necktie or blouses with cute lace or embroidery. The plus side of buying a blouse in a normal fashion store is that you can choose the right size for your body type. No worries of buttons that don't close up completely or that they don't really fit as comfortably as they should be. 

Brands like Axes Fame are also amazing when it comes to finding blouses for lolita. A lot of my friends buy blouses from this store. Though a lot of their clothes are in either one size or M size which is to small for me. From time to time they will have some blouses in size L and those fit nicely! At the end of this month (March 2017) they will open their international webshop. So let the shopping begin!


Shirring is the best invention within the lolita world I must say, this way the clothes fit a variety of people and are comfy at the same time. But not every dress with shirring is the same. There is a little catch! When it comes to comfort I prefer with hands down the dresses with full back shirring.  These are my go to dresses for every day wear too. Or even full shirring dresses too. All though these don't look great on most people, but if you dress it up with a nice vest it can be really cute! 
But shirring in dresses gives you room to move and lounge around!


I'm the proud owner of a collection flat shoes that go really well with lolita fashion. When I shop for flat shoes I tend to look out for the right color and model. Mostly I go for typical grandma shoes as my mother calls them. But they go really well with my classic wardrobe as well the lighter colors that I own with some of my lolita pieces as well. Most of my flat shoes I find in regular shoe stores and I want to try out B.A.I.T shoes for a while now. They have a cute line of flat shoes that I like so hopefully I can buy them one day. 

Besides my granny shoes I have a small collection of pastel sneakers in mint, sax and pink for my sweet lolita coords. These shoes are definitely my comfy go to shoes when I want comfort and cuteness at the same time. 

Tea parties are also in my flat shoe family but believe me they are not that comfortable at all unless I put a blister band aid on my heel to prevent for any blisters when walking. That is the only thing I dislike about them, they give me blisters in the first 10 minutes of wearing.
Lately I found out that if I remove the ankle strap that it improves the comfort of my tea parties a lot. No more blisters for me this way, though it takes away the overall sweet look of it too. But if needed I can wear the tea parties this way too without any pain. 

To be honest I tend to wear flat shoes most of the time when wearing lolita and I always bring of flat shoes with me to a meet up for when I'm wearing a small heal (aprox 3-6 cm max) because of some joint issues. I prefer comfort over looks, so having an extra pair of flat shoes to switch is a great solution for me. 


Let's be honest, wigs are hot and you get greasy hair afterwards. In winter it is a nice add to beat the cold but overall you don't want to be sweating all day when you are already going for a comfy and cozy lolita coord. 

I tend to save my wigs for bigger events of special meetings but not for everyday coords or for the days where I want to be comfy. Those days I go for a hairstyle with my natural hair. On my youtube channel I have a couple of hairstyles that I made with my own hair and are suitable for lolita as well. Please go and take a look if you want some inspiration. More hairstyle videos will follow in the future! 


Last but not least I want to talk about the accessories that you use with your lolita coords. You can use as much as you want but for my own preference I tend to go with minimal items. I have some go to items like a brooch and a necklace that goes with the theme of the print or dress. But that is it, no bracelets unless I don't wear a vest and I'm always wearing my wedding ring and our 5year anniversary ring. As well as my ballet shoes necklace. 

For hair accessories I mostly grab a small bow, headbow or flower clip. Nothing special in this part cause the rest of the coord is already minimal and comfy. Sometimes I like to add a nice hat or barrette to my coord to change the look a bit. 

Handbag wise you can use whatever you prefer and what fits your style of the day. Or you can go for a small backpack if you want that can look really cute too! 

Overall you need to see what works for you and within your own style. I tend to go for full back shirring dresses and blouses of off brand stores and flat shoes. But if you fit very comfortably in a beautiful OP and can wear heals 24/7 go for it. I hear that a lot of girls who are a smaller size do like to wear OP dresses a lot because they are so comfy. 

It is all about dressing to your own size and comfort levels. 
Have lots of fun when making your own comfy and cosy coords within this fashion! 

See you next time! 
Poppy xox 


Want more inspiration or tips for a cosy and comfy lolita coord? 
Check out these blogs!





3 reacties:

  1. I usually go for offbrand or indiebrand cutsews, since brand cutsews would be short on me. I have to say even normal blouses can be problem.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Indie brand cutsews are great indeed, sorry to hear that normal blouses can be a problem too :(
      I've never had any problems with them so far. Hope you find some things that do work!

      Verwijderen
  2. I'm with you on the flat shoes! Flats have been a life saver for me, especially for boots. Even if heels are a comfortable fit, they take more energy to walk around in.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

Mogelijk gemaakt door Blogger.

© Poppy Noir ♥ Kathleen, AllRightsReserved.